Thursday, July 10, 2008

Transversing Scandanavia


So the next 24 hours will include the final segment of my trip that has essentially crossded scandanavia from the western coast of Norway to Helsinki Finland!


Yesterday I took a train back from Bergen to Oslo, but not being in the mood to soley travel I worked some sight seeing into my trip. I stopped and got off the train at Myrad and took a train that decends almost 900 meters in 20 km into the beautiful town of Flam, Norway. It was an amazing ride and I loved every second of it. After Flam I made my way back into Oslo were I found some dinner and then bought some food for the next part of my journy, a night train to Stockholm Sweden! Unfortunatly all the beds on the train were already taken so I had to spend the night in a normal train chair (which is nothing special). Still I managed 7 hours of sleep during the 10.5 hour ride. Normally a train from Oslo to Stockholm is much faster but ours was not direct, in fact we went all the way down to Malmo (which is within spitting distance of Copenhagen, Denmark) and then back up to Stockholm. Obviously night trains are not the most efficient way to travel, but still it accomplished its purpose for me.


Today Ienjoyed a completely free day of Exploring Stockholm. It was perfectly sunny, and the city was abuzz with activity. At 7:00 pm tonight I board a massive boat to go to Turku Finland. From there I take a 2 hour train to Helsinki and then a quick one to my friends house (Ari). After all this traveling I will finally settle down for 3-4 days to explore Finland from Ari's house, and maybe even do Laundry for the first time.....I could go longer though ;)

2 comments:

Molly said...

Hey Carl, we took that same steep train ride in Flam - awesome! Enjoy being pampered by friends for a few days.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Carl,

I can smell your clothes all the way from the USA!

Norway is beautiful. Enjoy Suomi.

Dad