Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Reykjavik


After a six hour plane ride I arrived at my first destination, Reykjavik! The flight was uneventful (as usual I got no sleep), except for one thing. Ruth Torkelson (Armstrong) was also on my flight! She was with a group from the University of Minnesota headed to Paris for a six week summer study abroad program. What a coincidence!

Today was cloudy and cold, and from the plane Iceland looked like a barren land, so I was not sure what to expect. I made it to my hostel just fine (it is really nice) and then I headed off for one of the most famous sites of Iceland, the Blue Lagoon. It is a hot spring located in the middle of a rock lava field. The combination of cemicals creates erie blue water with steam rising from different spots. It really is a beautiful site (Iceland is much nicer once you get away from the airport) After the plane I was perfectly happy to send the majority of day relaxing in the water, sauna, steam room, or under the water fall. It makes jet lag a non issue!

When I finished up at the lagoon I went to the city center by the harbor and found a food stand where I got diner. Finally I headed back to the hostel to relax and probably get to bed early. Tomorrow I will also be in Reykjavic sight seeng before I move on to the mainland of Europe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Blue Lagoon sounds really good right now!

Anyway, glad to hear you got to your starting point safely. I am kind of jealous that you get to do this...I'd love to do something similar some day.

Oh, and by the way, I don't know if you have had a chance to hear, but the Wild traded Rolston's rights to Tampa Bay for a 4th round pick (he ended up signing as a free agent with New Jersey) and they resigned Andrew Brunette to a 3 year deal.

Keep having fun in Europe!

Anonymous said...

Who is more remote? You in Reykjavik, or your Dad at the bait shop in Marcell? Glad you are having a super time already ... isn't Skype grand?! It was neat to get a phone call from you while we were having dinner at the cabin.

Dad