Thursday, July 24, 2008

Its a Small World!

So I know the phrase "Its a Small World" is way over used, but sometimes it is so true! So two days ago in Amsterdam I was out and about seeing the various sites of the city. I had actually ventured away from the main tourist areas in order to see the Heineken Expearience, a museum all about the famous Dutch Beer (plus admission gets you three beers!!)! Unfortunately it turns out that the place was closed for renovations so I found a nice canal and sat down to figure out what I should do next. All of a sudden I hear a voice say "Carl Hoeg?!?". I look up and see one of my friends from college Aaron Schute! I could hardly believe it! I knew he was going to be in Europe for about a week or two when he came home from Tanzania, but I had no idea when or where in Europe he would be going, and here we were not only in the same city (with millions of other people), but we had some how managed to run into each other! Of course from there we spent the rest of the day togther wandering the streets of Amsterdam and catching up with what each other had been up to. Aaron like myself plans to make his way up to Finland to visit Ari and his family before he heads home via Amsterdam. Yesterday we went our seperate ways, me to Brugge, Brussels and Aaron to Frankfort, Germany.

There have been a number of random things happening to me throughout this trip including being on the same plane as Ruth Torkelson, meeting students from UNI in Sweden, and just running into random people from Minnesota, but I must say that this one takes the cake so far! In fact I will as they say "Eat my hat" if anything actually tops this one!

No comments: