Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Norway

Sorry for going several days without a new post, I am afraid that even when hostels claim they have free wireless or internet access it is not always the case!

I did make it to Oslo on my second try just fine. In fact I ran into two other people on the train who were from UNI (university near wartburg). My first day in Oslo I checked out the city center, waterfront, and the Royal Palace. My Hostel in Oslo was way out of the city center and while being servicable it was not the greatest hostel ever (too many old people!). The second day in Oslo it rained basically all day, which made sighseeing sort of difficult. Still I went out and checked out the Castle near the waterfront and its various Museums. I really liked the Resistance Museum (WWII). The last major attraction I went to in Oslo was the Viking ship museum, before conceeding to the weather.



On monday morning I got on a train and traveled to Bergen! While Oslo was nice, I probably would never go back, because Bergen is beautiful and has so much more to do (active stuff!). Monday night I hiked up a mountain to get the overlook of the city and watch the sunset over the harbor. Later I went out for a beer with an English and Swiss students who were also staying at my hostel in Bergen. Food and drinks in Norway are really expensive! Today I went out on a four hour boat tour of the fojords and they were beatiful! I love Western Norway and will be sad to leave it in a few days, but there is so many more places to go and people to see!

I wish I could post some of my pictures, but without a real computer (this is a network setup), I can not download my pics from my camera, hopefully I will be able to soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carl,

I've enjoyed reading your posts! Sounds like you are quite comfortable navigating around - even when trains are confusing! Let me know if you are wondering how to say "good morning" in any specific language... my kiddos for summer school are researching how to say that in as many languages as they can think of. So far we have Chinese. So if you make it to China, make sure to say "Ni hao" to people! Hmm... maybe I should tell Erik that instead of you. :-) Enjoy safe travels and I look forward to the next post!