Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Gustavus' Folly

My family members might believe this post is about the fact that Gustavous College hired President Ohle...but they would be wrong! I am actually talking about the person named Gustavous! At one point during his rein he decided he wanted to drastically improve his naval power and ordered 4 new boats to be constructed, one of which was the Vasa.

The Vasa was a giant of a ship, which two decks of canons. Normal boats only have 1, and for good reason it turns out. After the Vasa was completed it set off on its maiden voyage, which lasted for a grand total 0f 20 mins. Two strong winds came up causing the boat to list on the first occation, and then tip onto its side on the second occation allowing water to rush in through the canon holes and sinking the boat. Gustavous was obviously not happy and their was an inquiry and everything but no real reasons were discovered at the time other then general theories.


333 years after it sank it was rediscovered and after some elaborate work it was raised from the bottom in 1959, and the restoration work began. The Vasa now sits in a museum full of information about the ship and the lives of sailors from the time. The boat is really impressive and looks like it came right out of pirates of the caribean.


Turns out the boat sank because it was too top heavy and did not have enough space for a proper amount of ballest weights! Meaning it was on the one hand too small, and on the other hand too big! At anyrate the massive design was ill concieved and brought on the boats doom, thus Gustavous' Folly.


At any rate if you can not tell already, I thought this boat was really cool! I also went to a national park today full of buildings from the 17th and 18th centuries in Scandinavia ranging from Manors to farmsteads to settlements. The park also had a zoo of animals from Scandiniavia, which included Reindeer (A small girl near me asked her father how they fly!).


Tomorrow I am off to visit the Danish relatives! I hope everyone back home is doing well!

5 comments:

Molly said...

Very cool ship! We didn't see the Vasa, but we did go to that museum. It was fascinating, being able to see buildings from various regions and time periods all in one place. Good choice!

Love,
Mom
PS Expect to be well fed by the Danes!

An ARFRR editor said...

I stumbled across your blog whilst researching my own upcoming travels of Carl in September thanks to the same airline. Looks like Iceland/Copenhagen/Amsterdam where I am going for the first time will be lots of fun. When I was just out of college (17 years ago) I enjoyed Norway and the nordic countries very much too. It looks like your itinerary has already moved beyond it, but if you have a chance, I'd highly recommend the Lofoten Islands up near Tromso in Norway. That set of islands and the fjords nearby are my favorite place on eath!

An ARFRR editor said...

earth, I meant to say.

Anonymous said...

While my alma mater (Gustavus Adolphus) is a wonderful school - I fear that it is true that the namesake for which we got our name from wasn't the greatest of kings. You pointed out that he wasn't to brilliant at building boats... but did you hear about his cruelty? I think he did some mean things to people (that's the first grade teacher in my talking - "mean" things instead of saying brutal, vicious killings). However... if people are interested in visiting a more upstanding Gustie(meaning the people, not the boat) with fewer follies, a trip to St. Peter, Minnesota is worth the drive. :-)

Thanks for calling today - it made my birthday! Say hello to the family and don't forget to ask the grandparents if they have ladder golf yet.

Oh, and I think I'll suggest that Cyrus continue on with his current vet... I don't think the other option is quiet as pleasant! ;-) meow!

Love,
your sis

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you just now Carl and thanks for talking me through how to post comments to you. You might regret the fact that I can now contact you regularly during the rest of your trip!

I've been thinking how I cna lve up to the Danes culinary standards! Do you still like cheerios for breakfast?!! Also if you can get here for the evening of 29th July, we can take you to an Indian restaurant in our village for dinner. We took your parents there so you will able to compare notes with them.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Denmark and we'll see you soon
Mary