Thursday, August 14, 2008

Triumphant Barcelona

So after taking a morning train back to Barcelona and then laying around on the beach all afternoon, it was time for me to head to the main event! The FC Barcelona game at Nou Camp versus Wisla Krakow.



The stadium was little over half-full for the game....so there were ONLY 56,000 people there (the stadium holds about 100,000). I of course enjoyed the game from nearly the worst seat in the house for the "budget" price of 18 Euro (about $30). Of course all the real fans sit in the cheap general admission seats so it really is the place to be!

The game quickly turned into a route with Barcelona scoring two goals before halftime on their way to a convincing 4-0 win! Three of the goals were scored by two of the teams stars, Eto scored two (picture) and Henry scored one! So I was excited to see them do well. I must say I was a bit disapointed with the Barcelona Fans, while they enjoyed the game and were happy to see their team win, by no means were they extatic or overlly excited by the result. Really to them it was just another day at the office, Barcelona should win and did win, good job. The Barcelona fans did not really have any really exciting cheers or chants. They did have a song they would sometimes sing but no one really ever seemed to get that in to it. The biggest thing the fans did was the wave, and lets be honest even Twins fans at the metrodome are capable of that. The KRAKOW FANS on the other hand were much more entertaining! They was just one small section of them at the stadium but you could hear them chanting and chearing all game long, even when they were down 0-4. They had many different organized cheers and songs and ALL of their fans were doing them together. If the competition was between fans, Krakow would of won for sure!
-
All in all I really enjoyed the game and the expearience of getting to see some European futbol! I still will admit I would love to go to a game in England particularly at Old Trafford in Manchester should I ever get the chance. Tomorrow I am on to Carcassone and from there I have no idea, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

ar2 said...

Sounds like fun! When I was in Germany there was a soccer game going on about half a mile away from our hostel and we could easily hear the roar of the crowd from within our room. I can't imagine how exciting it would be to actually be at a game in Europe! What an awesome experience!