Sunday, August 17, 2008

Into Thin (and expensive) Air...

Perhaps you already have guessed where I am based on the title, but in case you did not, I am in Switzerland!

Yesterday I set off from Carcassonne France with the goal of at least reaching Geneva. I made it there around 3 pm and spent a few hours exploring it before I got back on a train to get deeper into the mountains. To be more specific I went to Grindelwald, Switzerland, home to some of the largest mountains in Europe. The train ride was beatiful and the time passed by quickly as I wtched Lake Geneva and the mountains fly by. Like a backpacker of old I had to set off to find lodging for the night (no pre-booking this time!). I was in luck and got the last bed at thr first hostel I tried.

Here are some pictures of Grindelwald (not mine), but like in the pictures the mountains are snow capped right now!



Today I set off to climb a 3,000 meter high mountain! Unfortunately due to a poor map and very cloudy conditions I got lost a few times and only made it up to around 2,300 meters. I actually ended the hike on the other side of the mountain and was able to take the bus back, my legs where shot after 5+ hours od hiking on the mountain. None the less it was a beatiful hike in which I saw tons of mountains, glaciers, mountain streams, and cows (with their swiss cow bells of course)!

Tomorrow I am off to graz to stay with a family in Austria. It will be another long train ride but I am sure the scenery will be excellent again!

No comments: