Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sevilla

Well I am now on to my last several days abroad before I head back to the United States. I have parked myself in Southern Spain for the remainder of my time abroad. Specifically I am staying in Sevilla. When I backpacked Europe two years ago I had planned to come down to Sevilla, Granada, and the Southern Coast of Spain, but opted for a soccer match in Barcelona instead. So this is my chance to see the places after all! I am not sure I will make it to all of them but I have no doubt I will enjoy my time here regardless.

Yesterday evening and so far today I have spent my time wander and exploring Sevilla. Here are some photos and commentary of what I have seen and done so far!


Plaza de Espana in Sevilla (it was being renovated, but still was a neat place/park)

More Plazza de Espana, I swear I see the Spanish Flag everywhere here (not just at official places like this), I suppose it has something to do with their recent world cup exploits (as it is kind of a big deal here!)


University of Sevilla

Alcazar Palace

Plaza de Toros (Sevillas Bull fighting ring)

Guadalquivir River that runs through Sevilla

Me standing in front of the Cathedral, it is the 3rd largest in the world behind St. Peter's at the Vatican and St. Paul's in London

As with most Cathedrals and Churches in Europe the Interior was quite impressive

According to Legend (and "Lets Go Europe") the people who built the Cathedral in Sevilla wanted to make it so impressive and extravagant to display their religious devotion that "Those who came after us will take us for madmen." I think they succeeded, as the Cathedral is indeed very impressive.


The Remains of Christopher Columbus are also entombed within the Cathedral

More of the Interior of the Cathedral

Looking out over the Cathedral from its tower

Sevilla from the Cathedral Tower

As you can see Sevilla is a very nice attractive Spanish city. I have some ideas as to what I will do during the rest of my time here, probably involving a beach on the Mediterranean, but also have some free time as well to either relax or find new areas to explore.

I imagine my next post will be quite exciting! The only hint I will give is that if you ever have in the past or considered donating to PETA you should probably skip my next post!

No comments: