Friday, July 30, 2010

BWCA - Superior Bike Tour

For five days my Father and I engaged in our BWCA - Superior Bike Tour across wild and untamed Northern Minnesota! We faced just under 350 grueling miles and five days of forests, lakes, rivers, hills, wild timber-wolves, lynx, moose, and the unruly white tailed deer!

 My Dad and I at the end of the trip

Somehow we survived and lived to tell the tall. The route was great with a good diversity of flats, hills, lakes, forests, and even the Embarrass Mountain. The toughest day by far was the 70+ very hilly miles between Orr and Ely on the Echo Trail, which in addition to the hills has over 35 Miles of dirt road (not fun for a road bike!). Overall I would recommend the route to anyone who wants to see more of northern Minnesota and is willing to engage in some slight (or some might say extensive) physical activity!

Below is the route we took. If you would like to see pictures from our ride just click here. If you want to hear more about the trip or doubt my tall tales just check out my father's blog as well.


Duluth to Hoyt-Lakes: 68 miles

Hoyt-Lakes to Orr: 65 miles

Orr to Ely: 70 miles (The Infamous Echo Trail!)

Ely to Silver Bay: 67 miles

Silver Bay to Duluth: 50 Miles

1 comment:

Dad said...

I am particularly worried about the unruly white tailed deer! Dad