Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pisa

Well today I traveled to probably the most iconic image of Italy outside of Rome, the leaning tower of Pisa! I had planned on just doing a small day trip by myself to see the famous tower but ended up running into some friends from SAIS also headed to Pisa on the same train as me so naturally we did the trip together. It proved to be an excellent spring (yes I believe spring is just about upon us here in Italy) day for the trip day for the trip with temperatures in the mid 50s and and mostly sunny skies!


Pisa proved to be a very nice town, but of course it was overshadowed by the tower. In addition to the tower Pisa has a unique Battistero, Camposanto (cool old cemetery), Duomo, and three universities. After taking the mandatory "holding the tower up" photos (it was quite funny to watch all the tourists doing this!) my friends and I explored the rest of the sights in Pisa, enjoyed a leisurely lunch, wandered the city, and had drinks in a cafe before heading back to Bologna to face the mountains of homework and internship applications that are all ready accumulating just two weeks into the new semester!

1 comment:

Karen said...

What a beautiful day you had! I too took the required "I'm holding up the tower" picture. :-) You have to! Glad to made it to that city!