Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Krakow

Tuesday morning I moved on from England and flew to Krakow, Poland. It has been fun to get back to traveling to new places, staying in hostels, and meeting new people.

On Tuesday I actually ran into two of my friends from SAIS here in Krakow! Graham and Tanya. We randomly ran into each other out in the city and agreed to meet up in the evening and have dinner and check out some of the local pubs.

As for the city itself I have liked it a lot. Krakow has so many well preserved buildings, churches, and a huge old Castle! Tuesday walked around the old Jewish quarter which was neat, although it is now quite small (there used to be a huge Jewish population here in Krakow) a stark reminder of the close proximity of Auschwitz.

Krakow Wawel

Today I spent a good deal of time up at the Castle going into the different buildings and exhibits. It is a good day to stay inside as it is quite cold and has snowed quite a bit as well today! After thoroughly exploring the Castle I moved to exploring the other parts of Old Town Krakow. Most notable was St. Mary's Cathedral. Started in the 13th Century and completed in the 15th century it is a really cool Gothic Cathedral.

St. Mary's Cathedral

Tomorrow I have the morning in Krakow before I get on a train and travel to Ostrava in the Czech Republic to visit Pavla, Ellen, and Pavel!

No comments: