Friday, June 4, 2010

Moroccan Life

Well so I decided after almost a week here in Morocco that is was finally time to post something on my blog! I arrived in Morocco last Saturday (after my original flight several days before had been canceled). My first night here I stayed in a cheap Riad in Fez, but then on Sunday I was already meeting up with my home stay and moving in! (Picture - Gate to the old city of Fez)

My home stay has been great so far. My host sister Fatima speaks perfect English, so if there is something I do not understand in Arabic (which is most of the time) we can still communicate. My home stay also makes amazing food! I am sure I will put on several pounds here for sure as they will not let me leave the table until I have stuffed my face several times over! Their home is in the old city of Fez and has been in their family for over 500 years! So I am definitely getting to experience a very authentic Morocco home-stay experience. Another exciting element about my home-stay is that my host sister Fatima is getting married one week from today! Which means the house has been really busy with preparations! The family is constantly baking all types of things for the ceremonies and parties and there is always tons of people always dropping by to help with preparations. I am invited to the wedding so I am sure I will have to say more about Moroccan weddings at a later point once I have actually experienced one!

Class is going well. They keep us quite busy, we have four hours of class each day and a lot more time spent doing homework each day. This is definitely not a leisurely program, but that should be good as I am here to study and not as much to travel. I am sure I will do some traveling around Morocco, but as I have already traveled to most the major cities, I am planning to spend most my time experiencing life in Fez while studying here.

1 comment:

Shelley Gable said...

A home stay in Morocco - how exciting! I'm going to Morocco for a few weeks in the fall and have been writing Moroccan travel articles for a tourism website. I'll have to watch your blog for inspiration.