Sunday, March 28, 2010

Bologna Scuderia

So today was another beautiful day in Bologna! It was right around 65 and perfectly sunny. So instead of staying inside all day and studying for midterms (the smart thing to do) I took a few hour off to go for a bike ride. I decided to Bike up to San Luca Basilica as it would take me into the foothills and out of the city of Bologna (and it is Palm Sunday after all so a Basilica in Italy is only appropriate). I like to take the back roads up to San Luca instead of taking the main road next to the 666 arcades covering the sidewalk up to San Luca. The back roads are less steep and wind around several off the foothills giving some cool views of both the city of Bologna and San Luca. By the time you make it to San Luca though you have still done a decent amount of climbing and are ready for a break!


Foothills/Countryside on the way up to San Luca

San Luca Basilica

Obviously I have blogged about going up to San Luca before so that is not the main point of this blog post. When I made it to the top I was surprised to stumble upon a big event! The Bologna Scuderia were hosting a car race up the steep main road to San Luca, but the cars were not new flashy supercars, they were instead really cool old racing cars! So I spend around an hour hanging out watching all the action as cars came shooting up the road. I must say that this type of "old car show" sure beats the typical American version where everyone just parks their cars in a parking lot for people to look at. It was fun to see them all in action! It is always fun to stumble on events such as this and sure was better then studying for another hour. Below are pictures of some of the cars I saw and some video footage of some of the cars racing around. Enjoy!


This was my favorite Car

Quite low to the ground




Show cars first finishing, then shows cars coming to the very top of the hill, and finally all the cars headed back down the hill before round two!

PS - In case you had not checked lately I changed my blog layout. The picture/title at the top is a photo of the Bologna skyline at sunset! I thought it added a neat new edge to the blog!

5 comments:

Molly said...

Nice skyline - Minneapolis just doesn't have the same feel to it! What great luck to stumble across a local event. That's what living abroad is all about!

Love,
Mom

Karen said...

Did you take the picture at the top of your blog?? And how did you get to put a picture up there? Sounds like I need a tutorial from you on using blogger! Great new layout, though. Oh - and fun trip too. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I found the picture on the internet. You can put a picture at the top of the blog no matter what blog format you are using although I found that certain formats did not really work that well while others (such as this one) worked quite well.

- Carl

Elsa said...

Wow Carl... you seem to be stumbling into some very great adventures! That picture at the top of your blog is stunning. Have a great Easter

Jack said...

Bologna..very nice place , I think everyone should visit Bologna at least once in life ;) very amazing place. Thanks!
places to see in spain