Sunday, December 6, 2009

Venice

Well just like last weekend, for better or worse I took Saturday off from Homework and took a day trip. This time with two other students to Venice! No doubt it will be my last side trip before I head home to Minnesota for Christmas break on the 17th as I have plenty to accomplish between now and then!

This was my second trip to Venice, but it was still a lot of fun. We spent our time wandering the streets, canals, shops, gelaterias, piazzas, and churches in this completely unique town....and of course we spent some time in the most time honored tradition in Venice, getting lost in the endless maze of streets, bridges, canals, and dead ends.

As I said this was my second trip to Venice and I noticed a few differences. First off the last time I was there was at the beginning of May and I must say that the number of tourists on Saturday was much more preferable! (something about cold December weather seems to keep them away...nothing for a Minnesotan though!). Another difference is that parts of the streets and main square was under water! I had heard about this phenomenon but it was not in affect that last time I visited.

I also saw some similarities, gondola rides are still out of my student prices rage and San Marco Basilica is probably one of my all time favorite religious sites along with the Cathedral de Notre Dame de Paris! The combination of Golden Mosaics and Marble make for a very impressive aura inside the basilica.

If you want to see pictures from my day please checkout my facebook album.

No comments: