Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Gunflint Trail Bound Again

It has now been almost exactly a year since I concluded one of the best summers of my life. Last summer I spent my summer working at Tuscarora Outfitters on the Gunflint Trail of the Boundary Waters. I can't tell you the number of times I wish I had done this earlier during my college years....but despite the thought always being in my head I never went for it. Then as my last summer of Grad School approached I decided it was now or never. I remember thinking I was a bit crazy and reckless. My previous two summers I had shunned the idea of an internship or a more professional summer job in order spend one summer backpacking across Europe and the other to live in Fez, Morocco to study Arabic. While both were great life experiences I constantly was worried that upon my graduation the professional word would look at my resume and see someone who never did the traditional summer slave work of an intern and thus was not the person they would want for any job. Yet despite these fears I decided to apply for to work at a BWCA outfitter for the summer of 2011 a job that generally is focused on such enthralling activities as scrubbing cook-kits, tents, and canoes for hours on end.

Me at Tuscarora Lake
The decision brought me four months of adventure in which I spent nearly all of my spare time exploring large sections of the BWCA wilderness along the Gunflint Trail. With only one day off a week from work, I learned to travel light and was able to cover 20-30 miles in the span of 24-36 hours in order to maximize my exploration. Furthermore the vast majority of my trips into the wilderness I did solo. While I was not opposed to having friends come along, few of my co-workers were interested in covering the long distances I often did on a "day off". The result is that I explored the wilderness by myself and had long periods of time to reflect about everything from God, to my life choices thus far, and where I saw my future leading me personally and professionally. While I cannot say I found all the answers out there, the peace and solitude combined with the natural beauty of the wilderness provided me with a unparalleled location for my wandering mind. 

Pristine Wilderness of the BWCA (Fente Lake)
Working on the Gunflint provided other great opportunities as well. Meeting new clients and hearing about their trips provided me with a wealth of information about the area (and too often how not to travel in it...). After work there were constant opportunities to fish, swim, go wild blueberry picking, and go to bonfires with the other workers on the trail. The friendships I made that summer are another element of my experience that I will treasure for many years to come. 

Looking back now its hard to believe how far I have come in just 12 months. Just a year ago I was leaving the BWCA with a massive amount of anxiety. I was entering my final semester of grad school, taking out new student loans, and in January I would enter an economy that in terms of jobs was possibly in its worst condition since the  1930s. To be honest I did not want to leave the BWCA at all. If I could of had my wish at the time I just would of kept living there and enjoyed the natural simplicity that the wilderness lifestyle provided. That being said I have always been one who does not run away from life and always intends to finish what I started. Thus when fall came I returned to the East Coast and my studies at Johns Hopkins SAIS. Before I knew it, it was already December and I had my MA in my hand and the prospect of finding a job ahead of me. After a quick two week trip home (which included a winter visit to the BWCA) I was back in DC determined to push forward but at the same time prepared for what I expected would be a lengthy job search and potentially difficult period financially. To my surprise within a week of arriving back in DC I had multiple interviews scheduled and other potential leads developing quickly. A week later I had received and accepted a job offer to work as a Research Analyst for Capital Trade Inc. 

Now seven months on I am still enjoying my job (despite the crazy hours at times) and counting my blessings. Not least of which was the chance to spend my final student summer in the BWCA.While internships and professional jobs can be great assets, I have to admit that experiences such as backpacking Europe, living abroad in foreign countries, and testing yourself in the wilderness make for great interview question responses (in the right context of course). No doubt my academic positions, training, grades, and awards were more responsible for my job search success, but I have no doubt it was who I was as an individual that made me stand out as a candidate. 

Sunset over Little Saganaga Lake
Next week I will return to the BWCA and go on a four day trip with my Mother. While I rue the fact that the trip must be so short in comparison to an entire summer there, it only goes to highlight the changes that have occurred in my life in the interim. No doubt on this trip I will once again find solitude (as well as family this time) in which to contemplate many things about life and my future, as always the natural beauty of the BWCA will likely serve to inspire and provoke deep thoughts. 

8 comments:

Marrakech tours said...

nice blog !!!

Inertia said...


If you love hitting the wave or you want to experience the melo drama scenery in beaches, this is the exact place to be.Whatever your purpose for going to Spring Break Deals
you have a great weekend! south padre condos

Inertia said...

Nice post.
A valuable information here.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Spring Break Ski

Unknown said...

Yes, travelling is so much fun in a way that you learn the values and lesson about life through your escapades. Like you I also love to travel and given a chance to tour USA is something that I dream of. Anyway I find this good site of Migration Expert which help individuals like me to acquire travel visa to USA with ease. I've sought their help because I have no time to do the application by myself. You can checked their website here http://www.migrationexpert.com/travel_visa/.

Gexton said...

granite countertops edmonton
Thanks, you guys that is a great explanation. keep up the good work..

Tourist Visa Australia said...

Hi, just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed this blog post. Very helpful and informative. Keep on posting!

-Tina

Kevin James said...

Informative article, just what I was looking for.

Anonymous said...

electronic cigarette, electronic cigarette starter kit, best e cigarette, buy electronic cigarette, electronic cigarette brands, e cigarette health