Monday, May 16, 2011

Wildlife & Sunsets

Living and working on the Gunflint trail in Northern Minnesota can be a lot of hard work and not the greatest living accomodations, but if you do not mind roughing it (and I definitely do not) it has some great benefits! In particular I have seem some great wildlife and sunsets during my first week at Tuscarora.

On my way up to Tuscarora a week ago I mentioned to my parents how in all my time in the BWCA, in the Chippewa National Forest by our family cabin, and then our trip to Alaska I have never seen a moose in the wild. Not only did we end up seeing one by the road about 2 mins later, but over the next week I saw moose on seven different occasions! At this point it is basically a daily occurrence. Other wild life sightings include tons of grouse, foxes, & deer. A staff friend of mine has also seen several bears in the area as well.

In addition to the wildlife there has been no shortage of brilliantly colored sunsets. Me and a friend have started meeting up every night on the dock to watch the sun go down, and we are rarely disappointed. Below are some pictures of wild life and sunsets that I have taken during my first week up here, enjoy!










No doubt there will be many more wildlife and sunsets to come, all of which I am looking forward to. Today I have my first day off and am spending it in the roaring metropolis of Grand Marais hanging out and getting some random odds and ends. I am currently in the process of getting a season pass to the BWCA (you need permits to go in) and from here on out plan to spend many of my days off doing overnight trips to various lakes, trails, and places in the BWCA.

No comments: